Lineage OS is the successor to the CyanogenMod which was one of the best custom ROM for most of the Android adventurers. It was the biggest and most widely used custom ROM for Android devices and it has had a huge community of developers.
Lineage OS is a free and open source operating system for smartphones and tablet based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community.
Lineage OS was officially launched on December 24, 2016, with the source code available on GitHub. It provides pure stock experience and stable performance without compromising much on the customization side. Unlike the most manufacturer’s ROMs, on Lineage OS you won’t find any bloatware. This ROM is quite stable and there are currently no known issues.
If you want to try out Lineage OS 14.1 Official on your Galaxy S5, then simply follow the step by step instructions below.
Here is the list of the most useful tweaks and features that you can find in the Lineage OS.
- Audio FX
Audio optimizer with presets to alter the music listening experience.
- Editable Quick Settings
You can now edit the ordering of the tiles and the number of tiles.
- Live Display
Live Display adjusts the brightness and tone of your display to better suit your eyes. The options include Automatic Outdoor mode, Color Temperature settings etc.
- New Launcher
A customizable launcher that supports protected apps.
- Protected App
It allows you to hide certain apps from the launcher so that no one can access them, even accidentally! You can turn it on from the security section under the Settings option.
This ROM is compatible with the following variants of the Galaxy S5:
- Galaxy S5 (klte) – SM-G900F, SM-G900M, SM-G900R4, SM-G900R7, SM-G900T, SM-G900V, SM- G900W8, SM-S902L
- Galaxy S5 (klteduos) – SM-G900FD, SM-G900MD
- Galaxy S5 (kltedv) – SM-G900I
- Galaxy S5 (kltekor) – SM-G900K, SM-G900L, SM-G900S
- Galaxy S5 (kltespr) – SM-G900P
First let’s have a look at some of the pre-requisites before we take you to the step by step instruction.
- Your device must be rooted as a custom ROM can be flashed only on a rooted device.
- You must install a custom recovery (TWRP or CWM)
- Make sure that your phone has at least 50-60% battery.
- Download ROM, Gapps and SU Addon form links below.
Warning: Rooting or flashing Custom ROMs will void your warranty and can brick your device if done wrong. We are not responsible for anything that may happen to your phone. Proceed at your own risk.
How to Install Lineage OS ROM on your Galaxy S5
- Download ROM & Gapps and move them to your phone.
- Reboot to recovery (press the volume up, home and power)
- Perform a full nandroid backup in case something goes wrong.
- Select “Wipe” from TWRP main menu and do a “Swipe to Factory Reset” on the bottom of screen. (This will factory reset your device. If your custom ROM doesn’t require a factory reset, then simply skip this step.)
- Install LineageOS zip, Gapps and SU Addon.
What doesn’t Work:
- CM ThemeEngine – Not ported to lineage-14.x yet
- VoLTE – It did not work on CM13, CM14 and still not working on lineage 14