Lineage OS 16 is one of the biggest, most widely used Android custom ROM based on the latest version of Android 9.0 Pie. Android Pie brings new features such as Swipe Gesture navigation, Rotation suggestion, Adaptive Battery, Adaptive Brightness, App actions, Text selection, revamp to Quick Settings and Volume section, Smart replies, and Notification Panel. There is the new Digital Wellbeing feature for enabling an efficient and controlled use of smartphones.
Lineage OS is the successor to the CyanogenMod which was one of the best custom ROM for most of the Android users. It was a pretty popular custom ROM for Android devices and it has had a huge community of developers.
This ROM is brought to you by Brunowp8, XDA Senior Member. Keep in mind that the ROM is currently in Beta status, so it has some bugs.
Now you can Upgrade your Galaxy S5 to Android 9 Pie via LineageOS 16.
You will need a custom recovery like ClockworkMod or TWRP in order to flash the ROM on your phone. We will guide you through the entire process of how to install Lineage OS 16 on Galaxy S5. Please make sure you backup all your data because this tutorial will wipe all your data.
This ROM is compatible with the following variants of the Galaxy S5
First let’s have a look at some of the pre-requisites before we take you to the step by step instruction.
- Your device need to be rooted, and have TWRP or CWM custom recovery installed.
- Backup any important data before going forward for the tutorial.
- Make sure that your phone has at least 50-60% battery.
- Download ROM and Gapps form links below.
Warning: Rooting or flashing Custom ROMs will void your warranty and can brick your device if done wrong. We are not responsible for anything that may happen to your phone. Proceed at your own risk.
How to Install Lineage OS 16 ROM on your Galaxy S5
- Install or update to latest TWRP custom recovery.
- Download ROM and GApps.
- Move all downloaded files to your phone.
- Turn off your phone by holding the power button down for a few seconds.
- Boot to custom recovery by holding the volume up, power and home buttons at the same time. When the phone turns on, it will boot into recovery mode.
- Backup any important data before going forward.
- Wipe /data, /system and /cache.
- Flash ROM and GApps.
- Once the installation process is done reboot your phone.
The first boot will take a while because it is booting for the first time on a fresh installation of a Custom ROM.
Source: XDA, By Brunowp8, Senior Member